MA in Middle East Studies, Department of Regional Studies,
Faculty of Law and Political Science,
Call for Applications, September 2021
The MA program provides you with the systematic knowledge and intellectual tools to critically study the Middle East region. You will develop your ability to deploy research strategies and methods in an appropriately advanced fashion to critically evaluate current research and advanced scholarship. This route aims to provide advanced knowledge and understanding of the dynamics, including cultural, security, economic, political and ideological factors, which shape the contemporary Middle East.
The Faculty of Law and Political Science is now accepting applications for MA in Middle East Studies. The program is only available to Non-Iranian candidates. The Master of Arts in Middle East Studies is an internationally recognized degree from the University of Tehran. It is an intensive two-year program consisting of rigorous course-work and research, while the modules will be conducted in English. Also, students are supposed to write their dissertations in English. Nevertheless, students could learn the Persian language, Iranian literature and history at the International Center for Persian Studies. (https://ut.ac.ir/en/page/669/about-the-center)
- Research & Method in Regional Studies;
- Theories of International Relations, Globalization, & Regionalism;
- International Politics;
- International Political Economy;
- History of Socio-Political Development in the Middle East and North Africa;
- Government and Politics in the Middle East and North Africa;
- Middle East and North Africa Economic Issues;
- Elementary Arabic;
Six Options (may include the following):
- Relations between Iran and Middle Eastern and North African Countries;
- Energy and Natural Resources Economics in the Middle East;
- Regional Organizations of the Middle East and North Africa;
- Culture, Nationality and Identity in the Middle East and North Africa;
- Middle Eastern and North African Security Environment;
- The Political Geography of the Middle East and North Africa;
- Seminar on the Current Developments of the Middle East and North Africa;
- Advanced Arabic Language;
Course Learning and Teaching
At the beginning of the academic year, students will go through a two-day introductory program in which they are informed about the University of Tehran, the Faculty, the MA/MSc courses and the facilities available for their learning. The 15 modules two-year MA degree is divided into 8 core (16 credits) and 6 optional (12 credits) modules, together with a dissertation. Furthermore, you have to submit a dissertation of 4 credits of not more than 45000 words. Most of the modules are delivered during the first two terms and you will spend the remaining time writing your dissertation.
Usually each module has 32 hours of class spread over 16 weeks, as well as self-directed learning. The modules are mainly delivered through weekly 2 hours sessions which can either take the form of seminars and presentations along with one hour of lecture. Typically modules would have elements of lectures, discussions, and presentations from students.
You can also meet your module instructors during weekly contact hours or by making an appointment. Likewise, when you are working on your dissertation during the second year, you could meet both supervisors. You will also have access to the academic advisors whenever there is a need.
The Faculty of Law and Political Science has a wide variety of resources available such as: computer room/work room with networked PCs, printing facilities including scanner and photocopier, audio system, Wi-Fi and a relaxation area with television systems and a prayer room.
Program Start Date: Late September
- A filled out application form
- This program is only offered to non-Iranian candidates under the age of 45.
- A detailed letter of motivation (no longer than 1000 words)
- Scanned copy of passport
- Scanned copy of previous academic certificate(s)
- Scanned copy of academic transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation from previous lecturers attesting to the applicant's qualifications (the letters must be sent directly to the program director by email)
- A curriculum vitae, including detailed information about previous educations as well as academic publications or work experience (if any)
- Students for whom English is not their first language must have at least IELTS 6.5 or equivalent in English
- A recent colour photo (scanned and small-sized)
- Any additional supporting material that you may prefer to include in your application
Open until filled
For submitting your documents or any other enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred way of contact)
Visit our website at http://lawpol.ut.ac.ir/en/admission for further details.
Please note that due to coronavirus there will be no face-to-face lectures at the University of Tehran over the course of the next academic semester and lectures will be available to students online. The University of Tehran will review the decision if advice on social distancing changes.
MA in Middle East Studies Prospectus